The Local Authority is legally required to encourage, enable and assist young people, between the ages of 16-19 (and up to age 25 for those with learning difficulties and those in care), to participate in education, employment or training. The role of the Participation team is being established to ensure that Bristol can fulfil this requirement which will therefore reduce the number of young people who are Not in Education, Employment or Training (NEET).
Our role is to promote, encourage and track young people’s opportunities to participate in Education, Employment and Training.
The participation team oversee and manage a range of activity, including:
- identification of NEET young people
- data collection, analysis and reporting
- stakeholder consultation
- identifying gaps in provision
- publishing an up to date post 16 offer
- supporting the development of a Bristol Careers Strategy
- supporting NEET young people and those most at risk of NEET to participate and progress to further learning and employment with training, including through personalised support through Participation Support Workers.
The team also will collate and update the Post 16 directory, which is the directory of the current post 16 provision within the city, this is currently under development but will include a variety of social media platforms.